Thursday, August 15, 2013

Craving More of Less

“Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like.” ~Will Rogers

Take a moment to sit back and enjoy the room you are sitting in!  Take a good look around while observing the contents of the room.  Notice the furniture, the colors, the decorative nick nacks, and the little extras that may not even belong, such as your shoes or a book.  Think about the things you are seeing, do any of them have sentimental value?  If so, great!  If not, then do you really need it?

How many things are in the room that you have not used, looked at or thought about in 6 months or longer? If you were to move today, would you take those things with you?  Most Americans have WAY too much stuff.  What do we need it all for?  My dare for you is.... to get rid of 5 items!  It can be gifted, donated, sold, or thrown away.

About this time last year, Devin and I downsized to a travel trailer and a small shed building.  The plan was to downsize, have minimal stuff, save money and get out of debt.  Because we wanted to save money we opted to not pay for a storage unit.  We went through all our stuff, selling some and giving away the rest.  Although we got rid of a lot, we still filled all the cabinets in the trailer and we have an over flowing shed.

Throughout the year I have gradually gotten rid of small things.  Mostly things that were in the way of other things or that would fall out of a cabinet when I opened it.  Devin's response was "why did you keep it, just to get rid of it later."  My reply was "I didn't know I didn't want it!"

Sometimes it seems so hard to get rid of things, but truthfully, how much of the stuff I kept do I really need?  Not much!  A year later and I am craving more of less.  I am ready to part my life of even more stuff.  I think I am about to shock my husband with the amount of stuff I am going to dig up and get rid of :).  We shall see....

So far I know I am going to get rid of my antique secretary desk, lots of my craft stuff if not all of, some if not all of our board games, movies, books, and anything else I can let go of.  It seems the more I get rid of, the more I want to get rid of.  It creates less mess, less to clean, and more space.

Are you going to take my dare?  What are you going to get rid of? 

........

Update:  
Here is Devin and Cinnamon going through the movies.  We got rid of a total of 285 movies and kept only one small shelf (mostly box sets he wasn't ready to part with and some Disney classics).


Here is the desk that I'm selling and already listed on Craigslist. 

We also got rid of a handful of board games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment